Saturday, March 28, 2009

Hippie Cookies for a Weekend Afternoon

One of my favorite things is when a recipe sparks my interest and I realize that I can make it without going to the store first. That's what happened with these healthy little cookies. I got home from work and was reading through the blogs and found this recipe. I realized that I had everything I needed (or at least acceptable substitutions) and got to work.

The other reason I was drawn to these cookies is because I have a pretty serious sweet tooth that has been a bit out of control lately. If I'm going to eat dessert after breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then maybe before bed, with a few sweet snacks throughout the day, then it's probably a good idea to have some healthy cookies around to nosh on.

I'm usually quite wary of vegan baked goods (no butter, no deal) but I thought I'd give these a try. They are chewy with a bit of crunch and just the right amount of sweetness. I substituted honey for maple syrup and almonds for walnuts because that's what I had on hand, and I halved the recipe.

I've eaten two cookies while typing this.

Click here for recipe.

Here is what my street looked like on Thursday.

Denver was hit by a huge blizzard and the city was shut down. It was heavenly. Sadly, it's mostly melted now and it looks like that might be the last snow for the season. Sigh.

No comments: